Ho, ho, ho, Merry Christmas! Well, almost. In today’s video tutorial I am showing you how to make a Santa Claus glitter ornament. It turned out so cute and I am sure you would agree!
It is so easy, you just need a few supplies and then you will have an adorable ornament to hang on your tree or to give as a gift. Everyone loves receiving a special gift that you took the time to create and I am sure they would love this as well.
I hope you enjoy. Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel so you don’t miss out on any future video tutorials! If you make this then I would love to see a photo by tagging me on Instagram @simplydovie or on Twitter @simplydovie
In my latest video tutorial, I show you how to make a first birthday party hat.
Photography is another one of my loves and I had the honor of photographing my dearest friends granddaughter’s 1st birthday photos. I just love how they turned out and soon I will post a blog on some of my most favorites photos from the photo session. So, keep an eye out for it.
I made her birthday outfit along with most of the props for the session. Also, I made video tutorials so I could show you how I made them. Believe me when I tell you that they are all super easy to make too!
In my first video tutorial, I show you how to make the first birthday hat that you see in the below photo. I just love how it came out. You can change all the aspects of it to make it match perfectly to your own party and color scheme. Check out the video below to see just how easy it is. If you want to see how I made the tutu skirt then go here.
Halloween is almost here and today I am showing you how I made this adorable DIY gumball machine Halloween costume for my daughter. She is in a club and they are having a Halloween costume contest and the only criteria was that it needed to be homemade. She decided on being a gumball machine and though it looks like it took a bit of time getting all the “gumballs” on, it didn’t in the end. Below you can see written instructions and also below is a link to my video tutorial.
To start this project you will need a few supplies:
Red Pants (or you can use a skirt or shorts)
Pom Pom Balls (I used 3 packages)
Grey Felt (Self adhesive optional)
White Felt (Self adhesive optional)
Hot Glue Gun
Black Marker (Fabric or Permanent)
Grey Thread (Optional)
1. Start by measuring the width and height of the front part of your pants on how large you want the grey felt area to be. The grey felt is what resembles the metal front of a gumball machine. My measurements were 5″x5½”.
2. Next, use your ruler and draw out your measurements on the grey felt and then cut it. I cut out a 5″x5½” section of the grey felt.
3. Next, take your white felt and draw out a small rectangle/square on it and then cut it out. My measurements were 3½”x2″ for my white felt rectangle and I used self adhesive felt.
4. Next, draw out 25¢ with your permanent marker (or fabric marker) on to the white felt that you cut out.
5. Next, you will adhere the white 25¢ felt onto the front middle portion of the grey felt. You will adhere the felt by hot glue or if you use self adhesive felt then just remove the backing to expose the sticky side of the felt and place it on top of the felt. Then you will draw the gumball opening on the bottom portion of the grey felt by drawing a half circle. Then draw the coin intake on the top portion of the grey felt by drawing out a circle and then a long skinny rectangle through the middle of the circle, making sure to overhang the ends of the rectangle as seen in the example photo.
6. Next, you will adhere the grey felt to the front portion of your pants. You can adhere it by hot glue, fabric glue, sewing it on or using self adhesive felt. If you want to save the pants to wear for a later time then using self adhesive felt will be the way to go. If you do use self adhesive felt then I recommend basting a stitch on each of the corners so it will be secure and not fall off but the stitch can easily be removed.
7. Now it’s time to add the pom poms to make the gumballs! You can place hot glue or fabric glue on the backside of the pom pom’s and then place down on top of your shirt in any pattern that you want. (Tip: I started by individually placing them down but it became much easier once I started putting hot glue down in lines and then just quickly placing the pom poms on top.) If you are tucking your shirt in then leave room at the bottom of your shirt that doesn’t have pom poms.
Now there you have it! A simple and unique Halloween costume. I will update you after my daughter has her Halloween costume contest on the 28th and let you know if she was one of the winners.
Summer is winding down and Fall is just around the corner. Fall is my most favorite season of all. Even though I live in Florida and it’s still pretty hot, it’s just not the sweltering, take your breath away hot. You know the type that causes you to produce a full on sweat just walking to your mail box. Yeah, that’s Summer in Florida, so I welcome fall with open arms. Also, the smell in the air changes, evenings are cooler and I find most of my reminiscing happens in Fall.
With Fall comes the need to decorate my home with all kinds of “Fallish” things. I still follow a neutral color scheme even in fall and I really love the rustic farmhouse / rustic chic style. This means any of the decor I choose or make will be that type of style. Since I love crafting I thought I would get to crafting! My first “Fall” project is this rustic farmhouse Happy Fall sign. I just love how it turned out.
It’s perfectly imperfect and I think it looks great on top of my freshly painted storage drawer dresser.
Per usual I have put together a video on how I made it and I hope you enjoy watching it! You can click here or watch below. If you are interested in a tutorial on how I made my Silhouette file to cut my vinyl stencil, then comment on here or on the video.
Valentine’s is just around the corner. Just letting you know in case you haven’t noticed all the Valentine goodies that are now adorning the store shelves. This means that there is another special occasion that we can decorate for. Is there really a better way to decorate than with your own homemade decorations? I think not.
You can start the DIY projects off with making this easy and adorable felt heart banner. I’ve made mine and already have it hanging across my dining room window. You can hang it across a window, a fireplace mantle, bookcase, or even across a mirror. This banner would be a great Valentine’s photography prop as well. My daughter loved it so much she is making one to go in her bedroom.
Here is a closer look at the hearts.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I’ll receive a small commission if you make a purchase using the links.
Step 1: Make a heart pattern then trace heart pattern onto felt material. You will need 2 hearts for each heart. Trace as many hearts as you will need.
Step 2: From your felt material, cut out 2 hearts for as many hearts as you will need. This will be the front and back side of one felt heart.
Step 3: Thread needle with white embroidery floss, place the 2 heart cut outs on top on each other and pin together with straight pins.
Step 4: Sew the 2 hearts together with your stitch about 1/4 from edge and with a 1/4 spacing between stitches. Do not sew completely around the heart as to leave spacing to stuff the heart. Once you stuff the heart you will stitch up the hole. You can sew your stitch with stitching the thread around the edges (not sure of technical name of stitch) as in the photo below or you can straight stitch. This will be your preference.
Step 5: Stuff the heart with your filling. I have used 100% Polyester filling.
Step 6: Thread yarn needle with twine. I used 60″ of twine. Do not tie twine ends in a knot, let the twine hang down a couple of inches as seen in photo.
Step 7: Insert the yarn needle with twine through one side of the heart towards the top making sure to go between the 2 heart layers and through the stuffing and come out the other side at the same position that you went through on the opposite side. Repeat this step until you have threaded the twine through all of your hearts.
Step 8: Once you have all of your hearts on your twine, then you will hang your banner up and enjoy how adorable it is!
If you make this, then I would love to see your creations by tagging me on Instagram. #simplydovie or @simplydovie