How adorable are these bird nest cookies? They would be perfect for Easter. They are so cute and they are easy enough (just a bit messy on the hands) to have your kids help with making them! Check out the recipe and video below.
Bird Nest Cookies
1 – 12 oz chocolate chips
1 – 10 oz peanut butter chips
1 – 12 oz chow mein noodles
Cadbury Chocolate Mini Eggs
Peeps Marshmallow Chicks
1. In a large microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter chips together. Microwave at 30 second intervals until completely melted.
2. Stir in chow mein noodles and mix together.
3. Lightly spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
4. Drop mixture into greased muffin tins and mold into nest shapes. Large muffin tin used for Peeps Marshmallow Chicks and regular sized muffin tin used for smaller bird nests for the eggs.
5. Place in refrigerator for chocolate/peanut butter chips to set.
6. Remove from refrigerator and place mini eggs and Peeps marshmallow chicks on top.
Who doesn’t love fortune cookies? I don’t know if you know, but you can make your very own homemade fortune cookies! How exciting, right? You can make them for Valentine’s Day, weddings, birthday parties or just for fun. I made some for Valentine’s with cute little Valentine’s sayings. It does take a little practice when it comes to making them so don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t go as well the first time you try.
First you will start out with making your fortune cookie saying inserts. You can make these by handwriting your message on paper strips or you can download my free Valentine’s fortune cookie sayingshere. There are 9 sayings included and below is a list of the Valentine’s fortune cookie sayings. If you decide to write your own then you can cut strips to be about the size of 2¼” x 5/8″ or to the length and width you decide works best for you.
1. Happy Valentine’s Day
2. you = awesome
3. your’e sweeter than a cookie
4. life is sweeter with someone sweet like you
5. I am fortunate to have you as a friend
6. you’re friendship is worth a fortune
7. good fortune is smiling down on you
8. love, hugs & good fortune
9. the best is yet to come
To make these cookies, the recipe is pretty simple, it does take a little practice when it comes to forming the cookies without them cracking though.
Fortune Cookie Ingredients – Yields 6
1 egg white
1/8 tsp almond extract
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose bleached flour
1/4 cup white granulate sugar
2. Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease cookie sheet with either cooking spray or butter.
3. Put 1 egg white into a bowl along with 1/8 teaspoon of almond extract and 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix the egg white mixture until foamy/frothy.
4. Sift 1/4 cup of All-purpose bleached flour, 1/4 cup of white granulate sugar and a pinch of salt together.
5. Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture and blend together. Below is a picture of the foamy egg mixture with the flour mixture.
6. Place two 1 teaspoon of mixture into circles onto a greased cookie sheet at least 3-4″ apart. Use the back of a spoon and spread the circles to about 3″ circles. It is recommended to only do 2 or 3 at a time so you have time to fold them while they are still hot to prevent them from cracking.
7. Place cookie sheet in the oven and bake cookies for 7 minutes or until about 1/2″ edge of the cookie has turned a golden brown. The middle will still be pale.
8. Remove the cookie sheet from oven and use a spatula to remove the cookies from the sheet. Form the cookies quickly before they cool down by placing a fortune on top of the middle of the cookie, then fold the cookies together with the edges touching. Form the fortune cookie shape by folding the cookie on the rim of a glass with the edges facing outward from the rim.
9. Then place your fortune cookie in a muffin tin until completely cooled to keep it’s shape.
11. Store fortune cookies in an airtight container so they don’t become soft. If you give your fortune cookies away in a mini take out container then place your fortune cookie in a sealed bag or wrap in saran wrap.
1. Use thin cotton gloves to handle the hot cookies to not burn your fingertips because they are really HOT!
2. If the center of your cookies aren’t as crisp as you would like then place cookies, when they are still in the muffin tin, in a warm oven. Make sure the oven is off and it is only warm.
I hope you enjoy!
Until next time,
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I’ll receive a small commission if you make a purchase using the links.